2.07.2008

spandex, fanny packs, and muscle cars.

I like shows. Art shows, performing arts shows, musical shows... game shows, tv shows. But I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a dog show or a car show.

Luckily, I don't have friends that are into dog shows.

Much to my disappointment, car shows are somewhat of a popular past time. People have tried to convince me to go plenty of times.

"It will be fun!"

Oh, that familiar promise.

So, I gave it a few chances, and I am still not a fan. That being said, I was spending a day downtown (surprise, surprise) when I came across one of my favorite events. Can we guess what it was?

Lined up First and Dean Street were old vintage cars, including Mustangs and Bel-Airs. Those being the only two I know the names of. I almost brushed off the event entirely, which would have been quite unfortunate. What I saw made my day. Crouched next to a nicely polished red vehicle was a man who was...not so polished. Wearing a screamingly unmatched spandex outfit with camera in hand, this man was oblivious to the fact that people were trying to figure out his outfit, not look at the car. He even had a fanny pack and his hair slicked back into a pony tail. I watched him for a while, as he circled the same car to take pictures of it from every angle. Sounds creepy, but he gained the attention of everyone at the car show. I'm pretty sure some children were ushered away by parents, because of the obscene nature of the spandex.

So thank you, SpandexFannyPackMan, for making at least one car show of my life halfway enjoyable.






2 comments:

Marguerita said...

Eugenia, very interesting the name you gave the man and the title. I like car shows, but ones with old fashion cars becuase you get a chance to see a car in pure form. As for the man, I wish you would have taken a picture because I would have also been one of those people who just sat there and watched him.

Michelle F said...

Spandex is scary on most people. Car shows are cool. I went to a couple in my home town a long time ago. I think it's crazy to see what those old cars used to look like. Now our SUV's are 3x's the size!