2.05.2008

separation.

Port Charlotte, Florida.

A place often forgotten about unless you are from there. If you aren't, there isn't much of a reason to go. Unless your name is Eugenia, and you waste a lot of gas driving for the sake of getting interesting photos.

I spent a day taking pictures at the old rail car at the Southwest Florida Museum of History in Fort Myers, and I was pretty excited about it. Telling a friend from Port Charlotte about the old railroad station, he gave me directions without telling me where I was going. "GO HERE!" he commanded, "You will want to get pictures of this."

That's all I needed. A little bait, and I was hooked. The next day Doug (the Corolla... introduced in a previous post) and I took our road trip to Port Charlotte. For a while, I drove aimlessly, stopping to snap a few random pictures.

Finally, I made it to the destination on the poorly drawn map. Yes, he drew a map to accompany my directions.

I could not believe what I was looking at; I almost forgot to put Doug in park. The structure, which I later learned, is protected by a historical society. A piece of memorabilia from an ignorant past some would like to forget.

It is the Port Charlotte Train Depot. Judging from the signage on the outside, the building functions as an antique store during the day. But what really made my stomach churn was what still adorned the doorways.





4 comments:

Christine M said...

Wow. It's good to remember that even though we can't remember a time when things were like this, it wasn't so long ago. Just look at how new it all looks.

Marguerita said...

Tears feel from my eyes after see this post. I don't know why, but it just makes me want to cry. If you wanted any type of reaction, you got it out of me.

Subversive Me said...

There are plenty of people that still remember and perpetuate. The signs may be down but the separation and the sentiment still remains in parts.

Dr. Harrison said...

This is the kind of the image that leaves one beggared for the right words, or words or at all.