2.02.2008

rusty old things.

Lately an odd obsession of mine has been finding rusted, decrepit objects. Whether it is old vehicles, buildings, or fences made of hubcaps, I am all over it.

When one of my best friends moved into an apartment in downtown Ft. Myers, she decided to give me a spare key to her place. For a reason I couldn't even try to explain, one day I realized that the key unlocked a side door. After I got enough guts to walk down the creepy stairs, I discovered that it leads to an unfinished basement decorated with graffiti. There are several staircases that have been filled in with cement, which left me wondering what this building used to be. Turns out, it used to be an orphanage over fifty years ago until it closed down. Sort of creepy, yes, but it only got weirder when I figured out my key opened a door to a staircase on the side of the building.

YES, I had a lot of time on my hands that day.

The stairs were painted green and twisted up along all nine floors. They were unusually steep and narrow, and definitely not up to fire codes.

Another intriguing rust bucket I found was while a few friends and I were walking down Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. It was just a random abandoned pink wagon sitting behind a building, but the weird thing was what was inside. I don't know if someone planted the plants inside of it, or it just started naturally, but it was interesting nontheless.

Further down the road, I discovered a fence constructed of rusted hubcaps. I don't know who had the patience or time to fit them together, because it stretched around the length of two properties. But I am probably not in a position to talk about people having too much free time.

(The last three photos included are of an old van that obviously made it's way down from Alaska to rust in a field located near the airplanes from my previous post.)




















1 comment:

Todd Bursztyn said...

Indeed very creepy, but it makes for a good story and some great photos. Having recently viewed the incredibly terrifying movie "El Orfanato," it chilled me to the bone to see these pictures!