2.19.2008

polaroids facing extinction.

Nearly every childhood is peppered by photographs.

For 80's babies, these photographs are far from digital. Instant polaroids were definitely the popular photographic medium. Although I work primarily with manual and digital SLR's, polaroids have kept their place in my heart.

This being said, I was pretty upset when I heard the news. Polaroid is discontinuing their instant film, and they have already stopped producing instant cameras. This is quite depressing to me, because I would love for my hypothetical, not even in existance yet, children to have a few polaroids of their childhood. For old time's sake.

I guess I can stock up, famine style.



me, circa 1987

3 comments:

Michelle F said...

HAHA. Cute picture. I remember being in middle school and getting a polaroid. I took so many pictures and loved how they came out of the camera and then I had to wait 3 minutes for the picture to show up. It was so exciting! Now I love my digital. I don't miss the polaroid. Digital cameras let me take 4 of the same pictures and delete the 3 that caught me with my eyes closed.

Heather said...

I am actually slightly enraged that Polaroid thinks they can discontinue Polaroids without a fight! I say we create an angry mob and fight against this tyranny! How dare those corporate honchos assume that I have stopped using my instant film. What’s next? No Pictures at all? (Stupid digital world)

On the bright side, I guess my unused film will be an antique someday! Maybe I can get a few bucks for it on eBay…

Mike Pena said...

That is awesome! I wish I had a picture like that of my costumes back in the day.

Spiderman Mike, Scream killer Mike, Hulk Hogan Mike...

Great post. :}