2.29.2008

afraid of sunshine.

As much as I enjoy road trips and discovering new places to take pictures, there are two things I do not like. One of these things obviously being filling up my gas tank, and the other being a certain bridge I have to cross in order to get up the state. The Sunshine Skyway is on the way to Tampa, and it is the highest/most terrifying thing I have ever driven on. To add to my fear of driving on this beastly structure, I recently heard about the huge accident that happened in 1980.

The original bridge was hit by a freight ship, and it collapsed killing 35 people who's vehicles plunged into the water. When you drive on the new Skyway that was built to replace the old, you will see two "fishing piers" to the left when you are going north. Those are actually parts of the old bridge, and I find that eerie.

In doing some more research, I discovered that the freight ship is still being used. After the accident, it was sold and renamed. Who would really want to use a ship that was involved in such a terrible accident?

3 comments:

Christine M said...

I agree, I hate driving over that bridge! The first time I did I was with my parents, who decided that that would be the right time to tell the story of the accident. Smart.

Meagan Mason said...

I believe one of those cars that went down with the old bridge was actually a school bus. Don't hold me to that though... it's just something I heard.

eugenia said...

It was actually a Greyhound bus, and it was carrying 26 people.